In Fall River Mills, California, Mary Vega jazzes up a can of beef chili to create a sauce for cheese-filled manicotti. "I first made this zesty dish when I got married," she explains. "It tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen, but it's really fast and easy.
Recommended: 38 Make-Ahead Meals for Your Busy Family
- 4 manicotti shells
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup 4% cottage cheese, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded American cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- Cook manicotti shells in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the chili. Pour half of the chili mixture into a greased 1-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine egg, cottage cheese, 1/4 cup American cheese and chilies. Spoon into manicotti shells. Place over chili mixture. Top with remaining chili mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Beefy Chili Manicotti in Quick Cooking May/June 2004, p22
Reviews for Beefy Chili Manicotti
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review