Beefy Broccoli Asparagus Salad Recipe
- 3/4 pound beef top sirloin steak
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash pepper
- 1. Place steak on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 6-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°); cool completely.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus and broccoli; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place vegetables in ice water. Drain and pat dry; refrigerate.
- 3. For dressing, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, oil, ginger, sugar and pepper; shake well. Thinly slice beef and place in a bowl; add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, add vegetables and toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 229 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 670 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.