Beef Zucchini Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium zucchini, cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini, water, Italian seasoning, salt if desired, bouillon, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (prepared with lean ground beef and without salt and Parmesan cheese) equals 106 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 628 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.