Beef Zucchini Soup
"I make this wonderful garden-fresh soup as soon as my homegrown zucchini is plentiful," remarks Betty Claycomb from Alverton, Pennsylvania. "I often double the recipe and freeze some to enjoy later," she adds.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 medium zucchini, cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper
- over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are
- tender; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini, water, Italian
- seasoning, salt if desired, bouillon, sugar and pepper. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until
- zucchini is tender. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with lean ground beef and without salt and Parmesan cheese) equals 106 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 628 mg sodium,