Beef with Sweet Peppers Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef in oil until browned, about 4 minutes; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion, peppers and garlic in butter until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and seasonings; mix well. Return meat to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until meat is tender. Serve over rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 375 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Beef with Sweet Peppers
"This is a GREAT recipe although I usually modify it as I'm learning to cook with with cheaper cuts of meat (patio steaks, etc.). Some of the other modifications I normally use are (1)use only green peppers in it, (2)cook it for at least 2 hours or so in the final cooking, (3)use only 1.5 lbs of meat for six serving, (4)use three cans of diced/crushed/stewed tomatoes, again to help tenderize the meat, and (5)play around with the spices...basil, garlic, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, etc.This is a VERY easy recipe...uses things on hand...tastes great...and can be done VERY cost-efficiently. Thanks so much for sharing!!!"