- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Place the beef, mushrooms and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, wine, gravy mix, tomato paste, salt and bay leaf. Pour over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef with Red Wine Gravy
Sort By :
"Quick and easy to make but flavor was just so-so."
"Excellent flavor and gravy,did not need to thicken with cornstarch."
"This was delicious and so easy. Smelled so good cooking when I came home from work. I didn't add the cornstarch--forgot, but it was still delicious. Will make this often."
"This was absolutely delicious. I have made this several times and my family loves it. I've made it with and without the red wine, just used additional beef brock and the taste is great either way."
"Definitely tasty and very easy."