Beef with Red Wine Gravy Recipe
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. Place the beef, mushrooms and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, wine, gravy mix, tomato paste, salt and bay leaf. Pour over top.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without noodles) equals 437 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 141 mg cholesterol, 783 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 47 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.