Beef with Red Wine Gravy Recipe
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. Place the beef, mushrooms and onion in a 5-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the broth, wine, gravy mix, tomato paste, salt and bay leaf. Pour over top.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 437 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 47g protein.
Reviews for Beef with Red Wine Gravy
"Very delicious & easy. I used only 2 lbs of stew meat & a large jar of mushrooms. Will definitely make this again!"
"Made this as a beef stew; flavor was rich but my husband didn't love it and leftovers didn't disappear quickly"
"Excellent flavor and gravy,did not need to thicken with cornstarch."
"This was delicious and so easy. Smelled so good cooking when I came home from work. I didn't add the cornstarch--forgot, but it was still delicious. Will make this often."
"This was absolutely delicious. I have made this several times and my family loves it. I've made it with and without the red wine, just used additional beef brock and the taste is great either way."
"Definitely tasty and very easy."
"I actually don't add the cornstarch or water to make a gravy. I use the juice to cook my rice in instead of serving beef over noodles.1 cup of rice to 2 cups of liquid-It comes out perfect every time!"
"The best beef stew I've ever made! Very simple too!"
"I made this recipe with 2 lbs of stew meat and it was still plenty. It cooked for about 12 hours because i had a long day at work! Its was fabulous. I also added 2 beef boullion cubes to add more flavor."
"This was very good and I liked the act that you don't have to brown the meat first as it is a time saver and you don't have to dirty an extra pan. The gravy did not turn out as thick as I would have liked, so next time I will add more constarch mixture. Husband loved this!"
"easy and really really good! Makes a lot!"