- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 12 to 14 tablespoons cold water
- MUSHROOM FILLING:
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 to 4-1/2 pounds beef tenderloin roast
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- For pastry, combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a firm ball forms. Chill for 30-60 minutes.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter for 18-20 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Stir in the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. In a bowl, combine ham and parsley; stir in mushroom mixture. Cover and refrigerate.
- Place tenderloin on a greased rack in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven; let stand 20-25 minutes. Reduce heat to 400°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 19-in. x 14-in. rectangle. Moisten edges. Spread filling to within 1 in. of edges. Place tenderloin in center of pastry; fold short sides of pastry over meat. Fold long sides over top; pinch seams to seal.
- Place seam side down on greased baking sheet. Add decorative cutouts if desired. Brush with egg; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Originally published as Beef Wellington in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p50
Reviews for Beef Wellington
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review