Beef Vegetable Stew Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 reduced-sodium beef bouillon cube
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 cups cubed rutabaga
- 1-1/2 cups cubed parsnips
- 1-1/2 cups cubed turnips
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine the beef, onions, garlic, 1/2 cup water, bouillon and enough of the broth to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Add vegetables, seasonings and remaining broth. Simmer 30-45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine cornstarch and water; gradually add to the boiling mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Yield: 16 servings.
1 cup: 143 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Beef Vegetable Stew
"With all of the vegetables, plus the long simmering time more liquid is needed for this recipe than stated. I will add extra cans of broth to my list next time. Also, the carrots needed longer cooking time....I will probably omit them next time."