Beef Vegetable Soup
This nicely seasoned soup tastes so good. It's convenient, too, since it simmers all day in the slow cooker. Jean Hutzell of Dubuque, Iowa
7 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 9 hours
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover
- and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 210 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 537 mg sodium,