- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) taco sauce
- 6 corn tortillas (6 inches), halved and cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Crumble beef into a large microwave-safe dish. Stir in onion. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 6-7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, stirring and draining every 2 minutes. Stir in taco sauce and tortillas.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish, layer half of the beef mixture, sour cream and cheeses. Repeat layers. Cover and cook at 70% power for 7-9 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 2-4 minutes before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Beef Tortilla Casserole
Sort By :
I think something is wrong with the reciped. 2 pounds of ground beef seems like way too much meat. I made this last night and could bearly fit it into ta 2.8 liter dish. 2.8 liters is bigger than th 2.5 quart the recipe calls for. Also, 8 ounces of Taco Sauce was not enough. I added at least double that. I wonder if it should be 1 pound of ground beef. Can someone comment on this? After my husband added some hot sauce to it, he said it wasn't bad. I will attempt to make it again but with half the meet. Also, when done, it looks like it would serve 10 - 12 people.
This recipe is wonderful, but i have made a version with refried beans layerd in this also, and much more delious. yvonne minnesota
When serving, I top this with extra sour cream and homegrown tomatoes. Even my kids, who are picky eater, gobble this down! :)
This was awesome! I tweaked it a little and my whole family loved it! I browned the ground beef with onion in a skillet and then I was out of taco sauce and used a can of enchilda sauce. I fried the tortillas till browned. Layered it with the other ingredients and served with lettuce and tomatoes! It was never soggy. This is a quick and easy supper idea that your whole family will love!
personally I would never brown the beef in the microwave O_O I would brown in a skillet with onion, garlic, most likely season with a bit of paprika as my kids are young and don't like too much spice. Also I would agree to use corn chips over tortillas... they tend to get rather soggy in these types of dishes and the chips simply hold up better. I've also found ( maybe a personal taste lol ) that sharp cheddar usually gives these types of dishes a little more of a kick. Also, I would use a salsa ( preferably one with corn and black beans.. more of a chunkier ones and most likely drain about 1/4 of the juice...again to keep the dish from getting overly soggy) over the taco sauce to give the dish more of a texture and just generally better flavor than a taco sauce can get IMO.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Mexican Casserole Recipes >