Beef Tomato Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1/2 pound beef flank steak or top round steak
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into wedges
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1. Slice steak on the diagonal into very thin strips. (It slices more easily if partially frozen.)
- 2. In a bowl, combine the ginger, garlic, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, soy sauce and egg white. Add the meat and toss to coat. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- 3. In a large skillet or wok, heat oil on -medium-high; brown the meat. Remove the meat; set aside. Add the green pepper, onion, celery and 1/2 cup water; cover and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- 4. Add ketchup and sugar; cover and cook for 2 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into beef mixture; return to skillet. Cook until liquid is slightly thickened. Add tomatoes and stir for 1 minute just until heated through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 389 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein
Reviews for Beef Tomato Stir-Fry
"Excellent recipe. Very tasty."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.