Beef Tips & Caramelized Onion Casserole Recipe
- 4 pounds beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook onions in butter over medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 3. Preheat oven to 325°. Stir flour into onion mixture until blended; gradually add consomme and broth. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Pour over beef.
- 4. Cover and bake 1 hour. Carefully stir in cream; discard bay leaves. Bake, uncovered, 25-35 minutes or until meat is tender. Place toast over beef mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup beef mixture with 1 slice cheese toast equals 585 calories, 26 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 186 mg cholesterol, 1,039 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 56 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.