This succulent roast takes a little extra time to prepare than a usual weeknight meal, but it's worth it for a special occasion. It's one of my top dinner requests from friends.—Tonya Burkhard, Davis, Illinois
Recommended: 28 Romantic Dinners for Valentines Day (or Any Day!)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (5 pounds)
- 9 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 medium onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 9 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2-1/4 cups dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Rub thyme and seasoned salt onto all sides of roast. Place tenderloin on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast 50-60 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in pan. Add mushrooms to drippings; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan.
- Place 1 tablespoon butter in pan. Add onions; cook and stir over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomato paste, stock and wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook 20-25 minutes or until liquid is reduced almost by half.
- In a microwave, melt remaining butter. Mix flour with butter until smooth; gradually whisk into sauce. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in bacon, mushrooms, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Remove roast from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with sauce. Yield: 12 servings (about 3-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom-Wine Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014, p1/15/13
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef Tenderloin with Mushroom-Wine Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review