- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (1 inch thick and 4 ounces each)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2/3 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/8 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter and oil over medium-high heat; cook steaks to desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°), 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan, reserving drippings; keep warm.
- In same pan, heat drippings and remaining butter over medium-high heat; saute mushrooms and green onion until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually stir in broth and, if desired, browning sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with steaks. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Beef Tenderloin in Mushroom Sauce
"I made this tonight for dinner, but I did change some things based on ingredients I had in the house. This was very good. I did not have tenderloin so I used rib eye steaks. I cooked them for 4 minutes on each side and they were perfect (medium). I did saut? shallots and garlic with the mushroom and deglazed my pan with 1/2 cup of dry sherry and a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, and I did use a 10 oz can of beef consume instead of broth. So I did change a few things but it was oh so good. The gravy was great over the steak and mashed potatoes. This was a very easy and fancy dish."
"I have not made this so did not give it a rating. PLEASE don't cook to 145 F if you want medium rare. The temperature will rise once removed from the pan and you'll get at best a medium well to well done steak. For medium rare, your steak should be at 130 - 135 F and then tented to rest. It would be a shame to ruin an expensive piece of tenderloin."
"Very Good sauce! I actually used cube steak because of cost - Beef tenderloin is an expensive cut of meat. The cube steak was tender and the sauce delicious."
"I liked this but would like to find a way to make it where it uses less fat."
"This is gourmet good, and so simple! I can't count the number of times I have prepared this."
"My 8 yr old daughter loves this receipe. It's the only way she will eat steak."
"I made this for an early Valentine's dinner for my husband of 25+ years and it was delicious! I did use part water and part red cooking wine and added extra mushrooms and green onions. This will definitely be a go-to recipe for special occasions. Will try with broth next time because I think I will like it even better!"
"delicious!!! my husband loved it and he want me to make it again."
"I used red wine as suggested by a previous post. This was delicious and very simple to make. Enjoyed!"
"We grilled our steaks instead of cooking them in pan so I think we missed some flavor from not cooking the mushrooms in the pan juices. I added a small amount of Dale sauce to the mushrooms and it still tasted great. Very easy!"