- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Additional marinara or spaghetti sauce
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the marinara sauce, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup into each shell. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted into filling reads 160° and zucchini are tender. Serve with additional marinara sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Beef-Stuffed Zucchini
Sort By :
Good but not my favorite
I make this following the recipe exactly most of the time and it is wonderful. It freezes well too. Place leftover baked stuffed zucchini in freezer containers. Then wrap in freezer paper and freeze (they will keep longer if wrapped). I defrost overnight in refrigerator and bake in oven if I have the time. Otherwise I use the microwave. Also, you can freeze the unstuffed zucchini after microwaving. I immediately put the hot squash in ice cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain and wrap individually before placing in a freezer bag. Take out as many as you need when you need them.
For a change in flavor, substitute Italian sausage (mild or hot) for the ground beef.
I loved this recipe but I altered it a bit to suit my family. I prepared a box of stuffing mix, added the scooped pulp to it then spooned it all back into the shells, topped with cheese & marinara sauce & baked at 350* for 30 mins. until zucchini was tender & cheese was melted.
I make this with ground turkey, a can of rotel (chopped tomatoes and green chili) and used low fat mozzarella. Delish..
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinners >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >