- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Additional marinara or spaghetti sauce
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in the marinara sauce, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup into each shell. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted into filling reads 160° and zucchini are tender. Serve with additional marinara sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Beef-Stuffed Zucchini
"Very tasty....simple to prepare, I will make them again!"
"They were good! I've made recipes very much like this so I decided to try salsa instead of marinara because it's not my husband's favorite. It was a good substitution!"
"Hi July_Rhonda,If you wanted to do these conventionally you'd place zucchini shells in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.Then fill shells with the beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes or until lightly brownedHope that helps!Sue StetzelOnline Community ManagerTaste of Home Magazine"
"Can you update this for those (yes there are many) who choose not to use microwave ovens."
"I made this recently and they were really good. A great way to use the abundance of zucchini from the garden."