I won a first-place trophy with this recipe in a cook-off in 1981. I've made it for family and guests many times since. Each squash has a shiny glaze on top, which makes this a spectacular-looking dish!
- 3 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Russian salad dressing
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Russian salad dressing
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Place squash cut-side down in a roasting pan and pour water in pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine filling ingredients. Remove squash from oven. Increase oven temperature to 375°. Lightly spoon filling into each squash cavity. Combine glaze ingredients and baste meat and top of squash.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, basting with glaze every 15 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Beef-Stuffed Squash in Country Extra January 1991, p47
Reviews for Beef-Stuffed Squash
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 3, 2016
"Neither of us cared for this recipe."
Reviewed Sep. 12, 2014
"Loved the taste of this and so did my husband. I had it years ago and need to make it again!"