Beef-Stuffed Sopaipillas Recipe
After my brothers' football games when we were kids, we would all descend on a local restaurant for their wonderful Southwestern stuffed soapaipillas. This recipe takes me back to that delicious childhood memory. Even my Canadian husband raves about these! —Lara Pennell Irving, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- Additional oil for frying
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in water milk and oil with a fork until a ball forms. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 2-3 minutes. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Divide into four portions; roll each into a 6-1/2-in. circle.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry circles, one at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the salt, garlic powder and pepper. In a large saucepan, combine the soup, broth, chilies and onion powder; cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. Cut a slit on one side of each sopaipilla; fill with 1/2 cup of meat mixture. Top with cheese. Serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC