Beef-Stuffed Sopaipillas Recipe
After my brothers' football games when we were kids, we would all descend on a local restaurant for their wonderful Southwestern stuffed soapaipillas. This recipe takes me back to that delicious childhood memory. Even my Canadian husband raves about these! —Lara Pennell Irving, Texas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- Additional oil for frying
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in water milk and oil with a fork until a ball forms. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 2-3 minutes. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Divide into four portions; roll each into a 6-1/2-in. circle.
- 2. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry circles, one at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 3. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the salt, garlic powder and pepper. In a large saucepan, combine the soup, broth, chilies and onion powder; cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 4. Cut a slit on one side of each sopaipilla; fill with 1/2 cup of meat mixture. Top with cheese. Serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC