Beef Stuffed Manicotti Recipe
- 4 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1. Cook manicotti according to package directions; drain. In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, oregano and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup cheese; stir until melted.
- 2. Stuff half meat mixture into manicotti shells; arrange in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Spoon remaining meat mixture over shells.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup: 533 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 1264mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 40g protein
Reviews for Beef Stuffed Manicotti
"This is definitely a keeper for my recipe box! This recipe has authentic Italian flavor and is easy to make. I added a 1/2 pound of ground sausage to the ground beef for extra meaty flavor. I would suggest allowing the shells to cool for a minute before stuffing, to avoid having them split."
"I omit the bell pepper and add a tsp. of crushed garlic and a little salt to the meat mixture."
"I've made this dish many times. My husband and I really enjoy it. Let the meat mixture cool a good bit before stuffing the manicotti shells or you'll end up with burnt fingers!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.