Beef Stuffed Manicotti
When I bought a 25-year-old cookbook at an auction, I found this gem inside. I think you'll make it again and again, as I do.
2 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook manicotti according to package directions; drain. In a large
- skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat
- until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce,
- oregano and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- for 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup cheese; stir until melted.
- Stuff half meat mixture into manicotti shells; arrange in a greased
- 8-in. square baking dish. Spoon remaining meat mixture over shells.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining
- cheese; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese
- is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 533 calories, 23 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 1,264 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 40 g protein.