Beef Stuffed Manicotti with Basil Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1-1/4 cups grated Romano or Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 large manicotti shells, cooked and drained
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, onion, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil, garlic, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine the ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup Romano cheese, eggs and remaining parsley, salt and pepper. Stuff into manicotti shells.
- 3. Pour half of the meat sauce into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Arrange shells over sauce. Top with sauce; sprinkle with remaining Romano cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 813 calories, 43 g fat (25 g saturated fat), 274 mg cholesterol, 2,075 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 66 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.