Beef Stuffed Manicotti with Basil Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1-1/4 cups grated Romano or Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 large manicotti shells, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, onion, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil, garlic, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine the ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup Romano cheese, eggs and remaining parsley, salt and pepper. Stuff into manicotti shells.
- Pour half of the meat sauce into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Arrange shells over sauce. Top with sauce; sprinkle with remaining Romano cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Beef Stuffed Manicotti with Basil Tomato Sauce
Sort By :
I wouldn't make this again because it's easier to make lasagna. It was good though.
This dish is absolutely AMAZING! It has become a monthly staple in our menu. It is so easy and DELICIOUS!
This tasted very wonderful. I also added a little mozzarella cheese to the top.