Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
We have been making this dish in my family since I was a little girl. Mother served it with corn bread fritters—I like to serve it with corn bread muffins.
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 to 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato sauce
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
- 1. Remove core from cabbage. Steam 12 large outer leaves until limp. Drain well.
- 2. In a bowl, combine ground beef, rice, onion, egg and seasonings; mix well. Put about 1/3 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides, starting at an unfolded edge, and roll up leaf completely to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling. Place rolls in a large skillet or Dutch oven.
- 3. Combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, water and lemon juice or vinegar; pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, spooning sauce over rolls occasionally during cooking. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (3 each) equals 268 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Reviews for Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC