Beef-Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
My husband is retired, so we do quite a bit of traveling. I like to cook, travel and add to my collection of fund-raiser cookbooks. I have one from every state except Vermont!—Jean Gaines, Bullhead City, Arizona
- 2 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Invert squash in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Add water and cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook beef, onion and celery over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, salt and sage until blended. Add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in rice.
- 3. Transfer squash to a baking sheet. Fill cavity with meat mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese and bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 276 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 408 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC