Beef-Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
- 2 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Invert squash in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Add water and cover with foil. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook beef, onion and celery over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, salt and sage until blended. Add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in rice.
- Transfer squash to a baking sheet. Fill cavity with meat mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese and bake 3-5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Beef-Stuffed Acorn Squash(7)
Sort By :
This is our absolute favorite filling for acorn squash! I return to it over and over. I follow the recipe exactly.
Tastey, but not my favorite.
My family LOVED this recipe! I had to change a few things though. My daughter is lactose intolerant so I used almond vanilla milk and I think that helped make the beef sweeter to match the sweetness of the squash. I also didn't have rice so I used bread crumbs instead. Great recipe!
To be honest, my family did not care for this recipe. I did not have rubbed sage so substituted poultry seasoning. Maybe that was an issue. I personally did not care for how the filling and squash fit. Karen
We all thought the filling in this was excellent, but hubby and kids didn't think it went well with the sweetness of the acorn squash. Personally, I liked it.