Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 1 pound beef tenderloin, cut into thin strips
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14 ounces) beef broth
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Hot cooked yolk-free noodles
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven, brown beef in batches in 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender.
- 2. Return meat to the pan. Sprinkle with flour, basil, salt and pepper; stir until blended. Add the broth, apple juice, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes or until meat is tender. Stir in sour cream and nutmeg until blended (do not boil). Serve over noodles. Garnish with basil if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 343 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 583 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Reviews for Beef Stroganoff
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.