- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the salt, garlic powder and pepper. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream
- Cut French bread in half lengthwise. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread butter over cut halves; top with meat mixture and half of the cheese.
- Arrange green pepper and tomatoes on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef Stroganoff Melt
Sort By :
"My husband and I love this recipe. There are a few downsides though: a) it's a bit messy to eat b) it doesn't keep/reheat"
"We loved this! What a great idea - thanks!"
"My family really enjoyed this. We used whole wheat baguettes and only made half the filling. It was excellent. Next time I think I will add more mushrooms and some basil. This is a keeper."
"very filling - easy to make lowfat - whole family really enjoys it"
"This recipe turned out great! I used venison instead of hamburger, took away the pepper and sprinkled basil on top. It turned out yum. The basil went well with the swiss cheese and the tomato."