Beef Stew with Vegetables Recipe
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound beef stew meat, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional beef broth
- 1 medium potato, cut into large chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper; add beef and shake to coat. In a large saucepan, brown beef in oil. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in broth and wine or additional broth, scraping brown bits from pan. Transfer to a greased 5-cup baking dish. Stir in potato, carrots, mushrooms, bay leaf, tapioca and thyme. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer until meat and vegetables are tender, stirring every 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 445 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 887 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Beef Stew with Vegetables
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.