Beef Stew with Sesame Seed Biscuits Recipe
Warm and hearty comfort food is what this dinner is all about. It has it all...homemade biscuits, tender meat and an assortment of veggies. —Linda Bacci, Livonia, New York
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- SESAME SEED BISCUITS:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onions and celery until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add water; stir in the tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, sugar, salt, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cook for 30-45 minutes longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Stir in mushrooms and sour cream. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- For biscuits, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Arrange over stew.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Beef Stew with Sesame Seed Biscuits in Casseroles Bookazine 2013
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef Stew with Sesame Seed Biscuits(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review