- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Burgundy wine or beef broth
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- SESAME SEED BISCUITS:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm. In same pan, saute onions and celery until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add water; stir in tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, sugar, salt, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/4 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cook 30-45 minutes longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Stir in mushrooms and sour cream. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 400°. For biscuits, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in sour cream just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Arrange over stew.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Beef Stew with Sesame Seed Biscuits in Casseroles Bookazine 2013 2013
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef Stew with Sesame Seed Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review