Beef Stew with Potatoes
This stew is sure to warm up your family on even the coolest winter days. It is very hearty and goes well with a slice of homemade bread.—Virginia Brown, Hudson, Florida
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 6 to 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 8 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 to 5 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 cups tomato juice
- In a 4-qt. Dutch oven or baking dish, layer the first 12 ingredients;
- pour tomato juice over all. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours,
- stirring occasionally, or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 383 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 1,036 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a