- a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown
- meat in oil. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer 1-1/2 hours.
- Add the vegetables, parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and simmer
- until meat and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard bay
- leaf. Add browning sauce if desired.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, thyme and
- sage. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in milk until moistened.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer
- 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out
- clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Serve immediately. Yield:
- 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 312 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 663 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA
, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now