Beef Stew with Ghoulish Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes (2-1/3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return potatoes to pan; add the sour cream, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mash until smooth.
- Set aside 12 peas for garnish. Add remaining peas to the slow cooker. Increase heat to high. In a bowl, whisk the flour, water and remaining salt until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Divide stew among six bowls. Place mashed potatoes in large resealable plastic bag; cut a 2-in. hole in one corner. Pipe ghost potatoes onto stew; garnish with reserved peas. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Beef Stew with Ghoulish Mashed Potatoes(7)
Sort By :
I haven't made this yet, but will. ChandiP, what type of beef stew mix makes it thicken up? I go through a lot of trouble pouring the liquid out at the end, making it thicken on the stove with corn starch and them pouring the gravy back in. Anyone out there know how to make it thicken better in the crock pot? I have never had any luck with pouring in the flour mixture.
I loved this stew it was fun to make I did make a few changes though. I browned the beef in some flour and a packet of beef stew mix in a little bit of oil before putting it in the crock pot, So I didn't have to add the thickener at the end it came out perfect. I did however add a little more both at the beginning. I used left over mashed potatoes and just warmed them up in the microwave before making the ghost and I also added a sliced olive for a mouth. Aside from those changes I followed the ingredients exactly. We will be making this stew year round because its just fun and different.
So cute! I made this early Halloween morning and it cooked all day. We came home from a night of trick or treating and gobbled it up! YUM!
I haven't made this yet, but I just wanted to comment on the sheer genius of the ghoulish potatoes, really awesome.
I did modify it somewhat. I added some water cuz it didnt seem like much liquid was in crock pot. Also added 4 bouillon cubes cuz it tasted like it was lacking flavor. Could be cuz I added the water. Also since I added more liquid, needed to double the thickener at the end. My families comment was maybe cut back a bit on the cloves. So next time may do 1/4 tsp instead of 1/2 tsp.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Halloween Dinner Recipes >
- Halloween Party Recipes >
- Halloween Recipes >
- Halloween Side Dishes >
- Kids Lunch Recipes >
- Mashed Potato Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Side Dishes >
- Mushroom Stew Recipes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >