- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/8 teaspoon
- salt and pepper. Add meat; seal bag and shake to coat.
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Add water, stirring to
- loosen browned bits from pan. Return meat to the pan. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaf
- and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
- for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay
- For dumplings, in a large bowl, combine the flour, parsley, baking
- powder, salt, thyme and dill. Combine the egg, milk and oil; stir
- into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer for
- 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out
- clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups stew with 2 dumplings equals 407 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 699 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 28 g protein.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA
, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now