Beef Stew with Dilly Dumplings Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/8 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add meat; seal bag and shake to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches. Add water, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return meat to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Add the carrots, potatoes, onions, celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaf and remaining salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
- 4. For dumplings, in a large bowl, combine the flour, parsley, baking powder, salt, thyme and dill. Combine the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 5. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cup: 407 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 699mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein .
Reviews for Beef Stew with Dilly Dumplings
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.