Beef Stew with Cheddar Dumplings Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches.
- 2. Stir in the water, bouillon, browning sauce if desired, onion salt and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Add carrots and onion. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Stir in green beans.
- 4. For dumplings, combine biscuit mix and cheese. Stir in enough milk to form a soft dough. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes (do not lift cover) or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 441 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,627 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein.
Reviews for Beef Stew with Cheddar Dumplings
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.