Beef Stew with Cheddar Dumplings Recipe
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches.
- Stir in the water, bouillon, browning sauce if desired, onion salt and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots and onion. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Stir in green beans.
- For dumplings, combine biscuit mix and cheese. Stir in enough milk to form a soft dough. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes (do not lift cover) or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef Stew with Cheddar Dumplings(9)
Sort By :
My family enjoyed this recipe, especially the dumplings! We try a lot of different recipes to change things up a bit and most are just okay. This one is a keeper and worth trying. My boys (16 & 18) are my best testers and they gave it a thumbs up! I used college inn beef broth instead of water and bouillon.
My husband made this last night for dinner. It was just delicious! The stew makes and nice thick gravy. He used beef bullion for 3 cups of the water. The dumpling were to die for. We will make this again & again. Yummy!! I love the Taste of Home Recipes and am always trying new ones.
Totally love these, the dumplings are to die for!
This stew has become a family favorite for years. The dumplings are simply the best and the flavor of the soup is so rich and beefy it satisfies my carnivores.
I made this for dinner tonight and it was fantastic. My family isn't a huge fan of the dumplings so I added potatoes to the stew and omitted the dumplings. Great flavor, this will definitely be a staple at our house over the winter!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >