Beef Stew with Cheddar Dumplings Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil in batches.
- Stir in the water, bouillon, browning sauce if desired, onion salt and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots and onion. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Stir in green beans.
- For dumplings, combine biscuit mix and cheese. Stir in enough milk to form a soft dough. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes (do not lift cover) or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef Stew with Cheddar Dumplings(8)
Sort By :
My husband made this last night for dinner. It was just delicious! The stew makes and nice thick gravy. He used beef bullion for 3 cups of the water. The dumpling were to die for. We will make this again & again. Yummy!! I love the Taste of Home Recipes and am always trying new ones.
Totally love these, the dumplings are to die for!
This stew has become a family favorite for years. The dumplings are simply the best and the flavor of the soup is so rich and beefy it satisfies my carnivores.
I made this for dinner tonight and it was fantastic. My family isn't a huge fan of the dumplings so I added potatoes to the stew and omitted the dumplings. Great flavor, this will definitely be a staple at our house over the winter!
Love this stew! I make it with frozen green beans and hardly ever make the dumplings, and it's still delicious!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >