Beef Stew Provencal Recipe
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 jar (7 ounces) julienned oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 pounds), cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes or egg noodles
- 1. In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients. In a large bowl, combine the beef, flour, salt and pepper; toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil in batches. Transfer to slow cooker.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups beef mixture (calculated without potatoes) equals 588 calories, 27 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 123 mg cholesterol, 581 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 43 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.