Beef Stew Pie Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cubed cooked potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups sliced cooked carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper. Add beef in batches; shake to coat. In a large skillet, saute beef in oil until browned. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add 1/4 cup water, stirring to scrape browned bits.
- Combine 1-1/2 cups water, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and basil; stir into skillet. Add bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine the remaining flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Discard bay leaf. Stir in potatoes, carrots and parsley. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry to fit dish. Place over filling; flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef Stew Pie(5)
Sort By :
It was good, but would be better if it was between two crusts.
Actually I used this recipe as an inspiration--I made my own beef stew recipe and then put my favorite pie crust recipe on top. Then I baked it as written in this recipe. The crust was a nice finishing touch to the beef stew. I will definitely use this recipe again.
I recently made this on a cold, cold day and it was such a big, warming hit that I'm sure I will make it again soon. I like the previous reviewer's idea of making turnovers to freeze -- I will try that!
This recipe is awesome! Will definitely make again.
Good, maybe use a different seasoning and make turnovers to freeze.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Steak Dinner >
- Steak Recipes >