Beef Stew Mix
“I love pot roast, but since I live alone, I find it easier to cook stew meat,” Roberta Young writes from San Diego, California. “I cook 3 pounds of lean beef stew meat or a roast I cut up myself…whatever’s on sale. Then I make my recipe for Beef Stew Mix, divide it up in three containers and freeze. You can alter the seasonings, if you wish.”
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven,
- brown beef in oil; drain. Remove meat and set aside. In the same
- pan, cook the carrots, celery, onions and garlic over medium heat
- for 4 minutes. Add the beef, water, mustard, Worcestershire sauce,
- peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or
- until meat is tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from broth.
- Strain and discard the vegetables, peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Return broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30
- minutes. Skim fat from broth.