“I love pot roast, but since I live alone, I find it easier to cook stew meat,” Roberta Young writes from San Diego, California. “I cook 3 pounds of lean beef stew meat or a roast I cut up myself…whatever’s on sale. Then I make my recipe for Beef Stew Mix, divide it up in three containers and freeze. You can alter the seasonings, if you wish.”
Recommended: 40 Tex-Mex Recipes Bursting With Southwestern Flavor
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, brown beef in oil; drain. Remove meat and set aside. In the same pan, cook the carrots, celery, onions and garlic over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add the beef, water, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat from broth. Strain and discard the vegetables, peppercorns and bay leaves. Return broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Skim fat from broth.
- Divide beef among three freezer containers; add 1 cup of broth to each. Cover and freeze remaining broth for another use. Meat and broth may be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
- Beef Stew Mix may be used to prepare the following recipe (also found in Recipe Finder): Vegetable Beef Stew. Yield: 3 batches plus leftover broth.
Originally published as Beef Stew Mix in Cooking for 2 Fall 2006, p64
Reviews for Beef Stew Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 13, 2009
"Great recipe to make ahead and have on hand...wonderful flavor."