Beef Stew for a Crowd Recipe
- 2-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 12 cups water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1. In a soup kettle, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the water, tomato sauce, bouillon, salt if desired and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- 2. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and onions. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 3. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 22 servings (5-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 183 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 739mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.