- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, ground mustard and ground ginger
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into four wedges, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic powder, mustard and ginger. Place beef in a large resealable plastic bag; add 1/2 cup marinade. Seal bag and toss to coat. Place zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper and onion if desired in another resealable plastic bag; add remaining marinade and toss to coat. Refrigerate beef and vegetables for at least 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. On four metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread beef and vegetables. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8-10 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness, turning occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef Squash Shish Kabobs
"Shish kebab in the countryside - what could be better? Everyone would like to treat yourself and your loved ones succulent flavorful dish. But what a shame, and how the mood is spoiled if something inedible is obtained instead of the expected to the meal dishes. If a shish kebab is made from beef, failures and are not at all uncommon. To avoid disappointment, I can recommend good ways to shish kebab of beef https://pinkycloud.com/beef-shish-kebab-secrets-of-pickling-of-meat Marinades for shish kebab are divided in two groups. The first one is suited for delicate fish, chicken and soft pork. The second group is suitable for thicker meat which may become rigid and viscous during preparation on skewer. These marinades contain so-called aggressive additives: – citric acid, – vinegar, – red wine, etc. Here we are advised to cook the vegetables separately from meat. But vegetables should be cut quite large for a shish kebab, so they prepared both with meat and not burnt. Therefore, consider cutting the size and try not to cut the vegetables very finely."
"I also added a couple of Tbs of brandy and used chicken rather than beef. It was delicious."