- pepper. Transfer half of the mixture to a shallow bowl; set aside.
- For filling, add marinara sauce to the remaining crumb mixture and
- mix well. Spread 1 teaspoon filling over each beef strip and roll up
- into pinwheels. Coat with reserved crumb mixture.
- Cut onion into 1-in. pieces and separate into layers. Thread a piece
- of onion, a sage leaf and a beef pinwheel onto soaked wooden
- appetizer skewers. Drizzle lightly with oil and place on a greased
- 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Broil 3-4 in. from heat for 5-7 minutes or until beef reaches desired
- doneness, turning once. Yield: 40 appetizers.
To Make Ahead: Skewer spiedini as directed, without adding sage and onion. Freeze unbaked spiedini in a single layer on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer container and freeze for up to 1 month. To use frozen spiedini, thread sage and onion as directed. Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until beef reaches desired doneness, turning once.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.