Beef Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the mushrooms; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup equals 163 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 516 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.