- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the mushrooms; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Beef Spaghetti Sauce
"I absolutely love this spaghetti sauce, it's got just the right amount of heartiness and sauciness, not too runny and not too dry. I added 1 can of hot rotel tomatoes the second try and I also use fresh garlic when sauteing the onions. Love it! Thanks!"
"My whole family LOVES this spaghetti sauce! I've been making it for several years now. I think the long simmer, as it instructs, REALLY makes this extra yummy!"
"I used this recipe for a Big Cook day and it was fantastic!! I will definitely be making this again :) It was great both as a spaghetti sauce as well as making great lasange."
"Simple and easy, this recipe is excellent! I used my home grown tomatoes instead of can crushed and fresh basil not dried --and everyone loved it. Made this several times and will make many more times"
"I think this is a very nice recipe. I like meat sauce and my husband likes meatballs. But he really likes this one Thank you"