- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Taste of Home – Great Flavors Beef Stock Concentrate or
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place short ribs on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast 30-40 minutes or until browned, turning once.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook and stir 10-12 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in water and wine. Add beef concentrate and parsley, stirring to dissolve.
- Transfer ribs to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove short ribs; keep warm. Skim fat from sauce; stir in remaining ingredients. Serve with ribs. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef Short Ribs in Red Burgundy Sauce
"These were so delicious! I made mine in the slow cooker. Just some small prep the night before preparing the ingredients. Before work the next morning, I added the cooked onions, garlic, and celery along with everything else to my crockpot and set it for 8 hours on low. It was perfect. Serve with your favorite cornbread!"
"Unfortunately, nothing in this recipe really stood out to us. It was a lot of work for an o.k. flavor."
"Delicious and easy! I doubled the carrots and used half the meat, so I was able to shorten the cooking times slightly. It smelled heavenly while cooking and tasted fantastic. Served with butternut squash risotto."
"Actually this is the first time I made short ribs and I will use the recipe a million more times (when short ribs are on sale) :) Followed the recipe and just loved the results. Ribs were tasty and tender."
"This was delicious. Made some adjustments to our tastes and used Merlot wine instead and added whole Yukon Gold potatoes. I actually put this in my crock pot, put on the automatic timer and cooked on low for 6 hours. My house smelled wonderful and the ribs were tasty and tender. Will make this AGAIN."
"I tried this for our Sunday dinner and it was wonderful. I tried to follow the recipe exactly and the ribs were very tender. I will use this recipe again"