Beef Sandwiches with Beet Spread
Stack it up! This old-fashioned beef sandwich has a zesty horseradish spread that really comes alive in your mouth. Topped with fresh onion, lettuce and tomato, it’s unbeatable. —Dawn Schumilas, White Fox, Saskatchewan
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 whole fresh beet, cooked, peeled and mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 8 hard rolls, split and toasted
- 8 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 slices tomato
- 8 slices onion
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and beet until blended. Beat in
- the horseradish, lemon juice, vinegar, sugar and cayenne.
- Spread rolls with butter and beet spread. Layer with beef, lettuce,
- tomato and onion. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 356 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 1,214 mg sodium,