Beef Sandwiches Au Jus
These hearty sandwiches from Marge Miller of Atlantic Mine, Michigan are served with individual ramekins of well-seasoned bouillon for dipping. “This recipe is a favorite of ours when time is of essence,” she writes. “Guests always rave when I prepare it, too. Nobody leaves the table hungry.”
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 French rolls, split
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, bouillon, 1/4 teaspoon
- pepper, pepper flakes and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in 2
- tablespoons butter until tender; remove and keep warm. Sprinkle salt
- and remaining pepper over beef.
- In the same skillet, cook beef in remaining butter over medium-high
- heat until no longer pink. Spoon onto roll bottoms; top with cheese
- and onion mixture. Replace roll tops. Serve with au jus. Yield: 4