Beef Rouladen Recipe
Our family was poor when I was growing up in Germany, so we ate garden vegetables for many weekday meals. When Mother made meat for a Sunday dinner, it was a terrific treat. My favorite is this tender beef dish, which gets great flavor from Dijon mustard. -Karin Cousineau, Burlington, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 8 slices beef top round steak, (1/4 inch thick and about 2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. Lightly spread mustard on each slice of steak; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place 1 bacon strip and a few onion wedges on each slice; roll up; secure with toothpicks.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil until no longer pink; drain. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove meat and keep warm. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Remove toothpicks. Return to gravy; heat through. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 355 calories, 23 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 695 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC