Beef Rouladen Recipe
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 6 bacon strips
- 6 beef top round steaks or beef sirloin steaks (1/4 pound each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 dill pickle spears
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 2 tablespoons of oil until tender; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Pound steaks to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread with mustard and top with onions. Place a pickle at one short end and a bacon strip lengthwise on top. Roll up jelly-roll style; secure with toothpicks. Set aside 1 tablespoon flour for thickening. Coat the roll-ups with remaining flour.
- In the same skillet, cook roll-ups in remaining oil over medium heat until browned on all sides. Add the water, bouillon, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Remove roll-ups and keep warm. Combine butter and reserved flour; add to the pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf and toothpicks. Serve beef and gravy with noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef Rouladen(1)
Sort By :
Love this recipe - Just like my German Gandma's. She occassionally used pork loin chops flattened. Since I didn't have pickles, I used a well drained jar of German style sauerkraut. Lovely shades of childhood. Thanks for sharing, and reminding me to make this more often!