Beef Roast with Gravy
“I always asked Mom to fix this for special occasions just to smell the aroma of that rich gravy as it cooked.” —Nancy Kreiser, Lebanon, Pennsylvania
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 1 pound fresh baby carrots
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 jar (12 ounces) beef gravy
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Place carrots and mushrooms in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle
- roast with garlic powder and pepper. In a large skillet, brown roast
- in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Combine the gravy, mushroom soup, water and onion soup mix; pour over
- roast. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Skim fat from gravy if necessary; serve gravy with beef. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 5 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup gravy equals 314 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 995 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 36 g protein.