- 2 tablespoons each whole black and pink peppercorns or 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
- 3 dried chipotle chilies, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried orange peel
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 beef tri-tip roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chardonnay or other white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Place the peppercorns, chilies and coriander in a blender. Cover and process until coarsely ground. Stir in the onion, thyme, salt and orange peel.
- Rub steak sauce and seasoning mixture over roast; cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onions in oil over low heat for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is evaporated. Stir in the thyme, pepper and salt.
- Transfer meat to a warm serving platter. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Beef Roast au Poivre with Caramelized Onions in Taste of Home December/January 2010, p70
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Beef Roast au Poivre with Caramelized Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review